Friday, September 3, 2010

CHAPTER 2

1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy playing: and, behold, this also is vanity.
2 I said of flem spores, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?
3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto sarcasm, yet acquainting mine heart with gameplay balance; and to lay hold on bugs, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under Skulltag all the days of their life.
4 I made me great works; I builded me factions; I coded me tech trees:
5 I made me spawners and monsters, and I coded states in them of all kinds of purpose:
6 I made me balances of damage types, to fuel therewith the counters that bringeth forth challenge:
7 I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my community; also I had great possessions of great and small fans above all that were in Doom Wars before me:
8 I gathered me also blogs and IRC Channels, and the peculiar treasure of wad authors and of the servers: I gat me men bounty hunters and women bounty hunters, and the delights of the sons of men, as Newgrounds music files, and that of all sorts.
9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Doom Wars: also my sense of gameplay remained with me.
10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any feature; for my heart rejoiced in all my coding: and this was my portion of all my coding.
11 Then I looked on all the actors that my hands had wrought, and on the code that I had worked to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of hard drive space, and there was no profit under the sun.
12 And I turned myself to behold gameplay, and imbalance, and bugs: for what can the man do that cometh after the first author? even that which hath been already done.
13 Then I saw that gameplay excelleth bugs, as far as light excelleth darkness.
14 The gameplay-oriented author's eyes are in his head; but the fool walketh in darkness: and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.
15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to Voltlock, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more inclined to gameplay improvements? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
16 For there is no remembrance of the gameplay-oriented more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the gameplay-oriented author? as the fool.
17 Therefore I hated life; because the code that is wrought under Skulltag is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of hard drive space.
18 Yea, I hated all my code which I had taken under Skulltag: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
19 And who knoweth whether he shall be a gameplay-oriented author or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my code wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself gameplay-oriented under the sun. This is also vanity.
20 Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the code which I took under the sun.
21 For there is a man whose code is in gameplay, and in flawlessness, and in balance; yet to a man that hath not coded therein shall he leave it for his portion. This also is vanity and a great evil.
22 For what hath man of all his labour, and of the vexation of his hard drive, wherein he hath coded under Skulltag?
23 For all his days are sorrows, and his travail grief; yea, his heart taketh not rest in the night. This is also vanity.
24 There is nothing better for an author, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his coding. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of iD.
25 For who can eat, or who else can hasten hereunto, more than I?
26 For iD giveth to an author that is good in his sight gameplay, and balance, and fun-factor: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before iD. This also is vanity and vexation of hard drive space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remain civil, and do keep things constructive. That's all I ask, really. Discussions in comment threads are encouraged, but don't get out of hand. Also, remember to include a name, if you want to.